Sunday, November 14, 2010

Vintage Photos on Fabric for Art Quilting





I have collected lots of lovely vintage glass plate negatives and film negatives. I have a scanner that can turn the negatives into positives. The first images I worked with were images of the Black Hills of SD taken in the 1920's. I selected about a half dozed of the negatives and worked with them via photoshop and then had the fabric printed at Spoonflower. This first series is black and white. The images on the fabric can be colored lightly with crayon and heat set. The resulting subtle coloring brings to mind the old hand tinted photos. I experimented with one image to see how well I could intergrate it into the art quilt. The image I chose is one of the old Sylvan Lake Lodge in Custer State Park, SD. The above photo shows the first sample. There a couple of other photos that show some of the varieyt of image and size that I have been experimenting with.

1 comment:

Richard Springer said...

Hi, thanks for sharing this